MacPorts 1.5.2 now available

Jay Sachs jay+macports at covariant.org
Tue Aug 21 19:15:08 PDT 2007

On Aug 21, 2007, at 8:00 PM, Bryan Blackburn wrote:

> On Aug 21, 2007, at 3:33 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>

>> Devs: I think this problem occurs because MacPorts needs a newer
>> version of readline than the one you have in /usr/local. Couldn't
>> we add a check to ./configure to make sure the correct version of
>> readline is available, and issue a sensible error message if not,
>> rather than failing with this unfortunate undefined symbols error
>> later on? Or, couldn't we instruct configure never to look for
>> anything in /usr/local? I believe the latter has been suggested
>> before but I don't remember the outcome.
>>

> The last time I looked into something like this, it was my
> conclusion that /usr/local is considered special by gcc and hence,
> you can't remove it from the list.  It would definitely be a great
> thing if this has changed, or I was wrong, because having MP tell
> gcc to always ignore /usr/local would definitely solve many
> problems, the recurring readline issue being one of the most common
> of course.

What about:

gcc -nostdinc \
     -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/i686-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/include \
     -isystem /usr/include \
     -isystem /System/Library/Frameworks \
     -isystem /Library/Frameworks

? It'd be nice not to hardcode this -- it could be determined
dynamically by examining the output of `cpp -v` and filtering out /
usr/local/include. It seems possible from the man page to do the same
for libraries:

gcc -Z -L /standard/path1 -L /standard/path2 ....