xmlto problems

Boey Maun Suang boeyms at macports.org
Tue Aug 21 20:21:51 PDT 2007

Hi Brad,

I'm leaving all of the text of your email here as it looks like you
forgot to post to the list; my comments follow.

On 22/08/2007, at 12:47, Brad Miller wrote:

> Thanks for your help:
>
> Here's what I get when I run xmlto -vvv
>
> xmlto -vvv pdf article.xml                                ~/tmp
> Format script: /opt/local/share/xmlto/format/docbook/pdf
> Convert to XSL-FO
> xmllint >/dev/null --xinclude --postvalid /Users/bmiller/tmp/
> article.xml
> Stylesheet: http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/fo/
> docbook.xsl
> xsltproc --nonet --xinclude -v \
>  -o /tmp/xmlto.cHziSS/article.proc \
>  http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/fo/docbook.xsl \
>  /Users/bmiller/tmp/article.xml
> I/O error : Attempt to load network entity http://
> docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/fo/docbook.xsl
> warning: failed to load external entity "http://
> docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/fo/docbook.xsl"
> cannot parse http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/fo/
> docbook.xsl
> No XML Catalogs?  Trying again with --catalogs..
> Variable $SGML_CATALOG_FILES not set
> I/O error : Attempt to load network entity http://
> docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/fo/docbook.xsl
> warning: failed to load external entity " http://
> docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/fo/docbook.xsl"
> cannot parse http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/fo/
> docbook.xsl
>
> As far as I know I got whatever docbook stuff I need from
> macports.  Here is the contents of the catalog:
>
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <!DOCTYPE catalog PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD Entity Resolution XML
> Catalog V1.0//EN"
>     "http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/entity/release/1.0/
> catalog.dtd ">
>
> <!-- Created by XML Catalog Manager 2.2 -->
> <catalog xmlns="urn:oasis:names:tc:entity:xmlns:xml:catalog">
> <nextCatalog catalog="/opt/local/share/xml/docbook/4.2/catalog.xml" />
> <nextCatalog catalog="/opt/local/share/xsl/docbook-xsl/catalog.xml" />
> <nextCatalog catalog="/opt/local/share/xml/docbook/4.1.2/
> catalog.xml" />
> <nextCatalog catalog="/opt/local/share/xml/docbook/4.3/catalog.xml" />
> <nextCatalog catalog="/opt/local/share/xml/docbook/4.4/catalog.xml" />
> <nextCatalog catalog="/opt/local/share/xml/docbook/4.5/catalog.xml" />
> </catalog>
>
> I do remember seeing some funny messages about uninstallation and
> catalog management when tried to upgrade to the latest xmlto stuff,
> but since I was not uninstalling I didn't do anything.
>
> Here is all the docbook stuff that I have installed through port:
>
> port installed |grep docbook
>
>   docbook-xml @4.3_0
>   docbook-xml @4.5_0 (active)
>   docbook-xml-4.1.2 @4.1.2_1 (active)
>   docbook-xml-4.2 @4.2_0 (active)
>   docbook-xml-4.3 @4.3_0 (active)
>   docbook-xml-4.4 @4.4_0 (active)
>   docbook-xml-4.5 @4.5_0 (active)
>   docbook-xsl @1.69.1_0
>   docbook-xsl @1.72.0_0 (active)

> [...]

It now looks to me like your libxml2 and asciidoc installations are
out of date.  I added sysutils/getopt as a runtime dependency of
asciidoc when I bumped it to 8.2.1 on 2007/05/28, while libxml2 was
patched on 2007/06/11 so that it would locate our default location
for XML catalogs.  If you upgrade libxml2, asciidoc and libxslt (I'm
pretty sure that the latter needs a rebuild to pick up the rebuild to
libxml2), ensuring that any missing dependencies are also installed,
I'm fairly confident that both problems should be solved.  Good luck!

Kind regards,

Maun Suang

--
Boey Maun Suang (Boey is my surname)