xmlto problems

Brad Miller bmiller at luther.edu
Wed Aug 22 06:13:09 PDT 2007

On 8/22/07, Brad Miller <bonelake at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/21/07, Boey Maun Suang <boeyms at macports.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Brad,

> > It now looks to me like your libxml2 and asciidoc installations are
> > out of date.  I added sysutils/getopt as a runtime dependency of
> > asciidoc when I bumped it to 8.2.1 on 2007/05/28, while libxml2 was
> > patched on 2007/06/11 so that it would locate our default location
> > for XML catalogs.  If you upgrade libxml2, asciidoc and libxslt (I'm
> > pretty sure that the latter needs a rebuild to pick up the rebuild to
> > libxml2), ensuring that any missing dependencies are also installed,
> > I'm fairly confident that both problems should be solved.  Good luck!
>

> port upgrade seems to think I already have the latest version of all of
> those libraries:
>
>   getopt @1.1.4_0 (active)
>   asciidoc @7.1.2_0
>   asciidoc @8.2.1_1 (active)
>   libxml2 @2.6.23_0
>   libxml2 @2.6.28_1 (active)
>   libxslt @1.1.20_0 (active)
>
> BUT, I just discovered that it is using /usr/bin/getopt and not
> /opt/local/bin/getopt so I have a problem with PATH.  Fixing that solves it.

I should have said partially solves it.  Your a2x solution builds a pdf file
nicely.  But using xmlto I get latex errors, which I assume may be because
I'm using texlive rather than the macports tetex distro?

This seems pretty old to me:
xmltex version: 2002/06/25 v1.9 (Exp):
(/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/tex/xmltex/base/xmltex.cfg)

! Argument of \XML at getattrib has an extra }.
<inserted text>
                \par
l.2 ...efore region-name="xsl-region-before-blank"
                                                   extent="0.4in"
display-al...

?
! Emergency stop.
<inserted text>
                \par
l.2 ...efore region-name="xsl-region-before-blank"
                                                   extent="0.4in"
display-al...

!  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!