MacPorts 1.5.2 now available

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Wed Aug 22 08:12:07 PDT 2007

On Aug 22, 2007, at 10:24 AM, Jason Stelzer wrote:
> I alluded to this before, but does anyone know the moral equivalent
> to a -rpath linker directive on os x?

there isn't, -rpath is an ELFism.

On Mac OS X, install_name of the library you link to is added to the
application (it's what you see when you do otool -L on a binary).

dyld will first look for the library at that location, then will
search its default fallback path ($(HOME)/lib:/usr/local/lib:/lib:/
usr/lib).

> It would help in this situation a great deal. Elf executables can
> be linked in a way that includes path information to the libraries
> used at compile time. The down side to this is that if you go
> changing paths around where stuff is installed, things break. The
> up side to it is that you know what library is used at runtime when
> a binary is executed from a (relatively) sane environment. I'm sure
> rpath isn't bulletproof, but it does help.

I thought I read somewhere (public) that -rpath support/emulation is
being looked at for some future OS release.

> Have you tried expressly setting DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH at
> compile time?  By  default,  it  is  set  to $(HOME)/lib:/usr/local/
> lib:/lib:/usr/lib. Having $HOME/lib first seems goofy to me, but I
> don't actually have a $HOME/lib. My understanding is that
> overriding this would effectively cut /usr/local out of the library
> search path entirely.

you're confusing compile-time and runtime.

> Again, I'm just going by the dyld man page. This would at least
> help the compile/upgrade phase of macports by excluding the stuff
> in /usr/local thus achieving your goal of only using macports/apple
> libraries.

/usr/local is searched by gcc (as one of the system paths).
--
Daniel J. Luke