wireshark network interfaces

Eric Hall opendarwin.org at darkart.com
Sun Aug 26 14:09:29 PDT 2007

On Sat, Aug 25, 2007 at 03:02:56PM -0500, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Aug 25, 2007, at 12:47, Lorenz Schori wrote:
>
> >On 25.08.2007, at 19:35, Phil Rand wrote:
> >
> >>I installed wireshark, with no errors:
> >>
> >>  sudo port install wireshark
> >>
> >>  port installed wireshark
> >>The following ports are currently installed:
> >>  wireshark @0.99.6_0+darwin_8 (active)
> >>
> >>When I run it, the GUI comes up just fine, but the "List the
> >>available
> >>capture interfaces" thing comes up blank.  I'm connected via
> >>wireless,
> >>with no ethernet connection right now.
> >>
> >>In case drivers have to be installed or something, I rebooted, but
> >>no joy.
> >>
> >>/usr/sbin/tcpdump returns:
> >>
> >>  tcpdump:  no suitable device found
> >>
> >>Is the portfile missing a prerequisite?
> >
> >You have to run tcpdump and wireshark as root, i.e. with sudo.
>
> It might help new users if the port would print a message to that
> effect after installation. I'm Cc'ing the maintainer.

	I'd say its better if tcpdump and wireshark informed the user,
as its far less likely that the user will remember that 'port' told them
they needed privs, vs. tcpdump/wireshark telling them at runtime.  The
best way for that to happen is for users to file a bug against tcpdump
and wireshark in their respective bug trackers (i.e. not in macport's
bug tracker).

		-eric