Error running MacPorts

Richard Connamacher rich.n1 at indieimage.com
Thu Aug 30 23:49:54 PDT 2007

On Aug 30, 2007, at 4:24 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>> I can only think that something got royally screwed up when I
>> restored my Mac from a backup, since it used to work before. Maybe
>> some critical libraries used by GCC were corrupted in the process?
>> I was planning to hold off until Leopard before I do a full clean
>> reinstall of the OS, since it's going to take a long time to get
>> everything back in...
>
> Possible that some permissions weren't properly preserved during
> your backup/restore. Or some other problem occurred. I recommend
> you uninstall Xcode (using the uninstall script found on the Xcode
> disk image). Then install all of Xcode again.

I completely uninstalled both XCode and MacPorts. I rebooted,
repaired disk permissions (from Disk Utility), installed XCode,
rebooted, reinstalled MacPorts, rebooted, then tried again (port
selfupdate).

Same exact error. C Compiler can't create executables. Argh.

Thank-you for the help. I'm thinking it's the OS install that got
hosed (BSD libraries maybe?), so the only (reasonable) way to fix it
would be a reinstall of the operating system. Unless I really get in
a jam where I can't find any way around compiling software, I'll
probably hold off until Leopard in two months (hopefully) and
reinstall everything at the same time. That'll give me time to dig
all my installer CDs and registration cards out and get 'em dusted off.

Rich