Trying to learn, Gimp failed

Stephen Allred allred55 at fastmail.fm
Wed Dec 5 09:14:46 PST 2007

Hi - I know precious little of what I am doing; I thought I had read
enough to get Gimp installed finally.  Wrong.  I think it got most of
the way there and then I got this:

--->  Cleaning tiff
--->  Fetching gtk2
Error: Target org.macports.fetch returned:
You must install gtk2 with either the +quartz or +x11 variant specified.

Error: The following dependencies failed to build: gimp2 libgnomeui
gnome-keyring gtk2 libgcrypt libgpg-error p5-xml-parser perl5.8
libbonoboui dbus docbook-xml-4.1.2 xmlcatmgr libxml2 xmlto
docbook-xml-4.2 docbook-xsl getopt libxslt dbus-glib gconf intltool
orbit2 libidl gnome-vfs gnome-mime-data howl neon openssl libbonobo popt
libglade2 libgnome esound audiofile libgnomecanvas gail libgtkhtml
libmng autoconf help2man p5-locale-gettext libtool m4 automake lcms
librsvg libcroco libgsf libwmf poppler poppler-data py25-gtk py25-cairo
py25-numeric python25 py25-gobject

I have no idea what to do now; can anyone help?
--
  Stephen Allred
Take heart!  This life is but a split second in time.

                          wherever you are