keeping a (maximally) clean active tree

Jay Chandler lists at sequestered.net
Wed Dec 5 22:49:52 PST 2007

David Blank-Edelman wrote:
> Thanks for the response.
>
> On Dec 6, 2007, at 1:16 AM, Jay Chandler wrote:
>
>> Am I missing something, or will "port upgrade outdated" solve this?
>> I don't show old versions of upgraded ports...
>
> How are you checking? If I type:
>
> $ port upgrade apr
>
> just to upgrade that package, I see:
>
> $ port installed apr
> The following ports are currently installed:
>   apr @1.2.11_0+darwin_9
>   apr @1.2.12_0+darwin_9 (active)
>
>       -- dNb
Whoops, you're right.

Okay..
  glib2 @2.14.4_0+darwin_9
  glib2 @2.14.4_1+darwin_9 (active)

bash-3.2# port uninstall  glib2 @2.14.4_0+darwin_9--->  Unable to
uninstall glib2 2.14.4_0+darwin_9, the following ports depend on it:
--->      atk
--->      pango
--->      gtk2
--->      wireshark
--->      gmime
--->      py25-gobject
--->      gtk2
Error: port uninstall failed: Please uninstall the ports that depend on
glib2 first.
bash-3.2# port -f uninstall  glib2 @2.14.4_0+darwin_9
--->  Unable to uninstall glib2 2.14.4_0+darwin_9, the following ports
depend on it:
--->      atk
--->      pango
--->      gtk2
--->      wireshark
--->      gmime
--->      py25-gobject
--->      gtk2
Warning: Uninstall forced.  Proceeding despite dependencies.
--->  Uninstalling glib2 2.14.4_0+darwin_9
bash-3.2#

Not sure if this is "approved," but it sure worked, and none of the deps
broke...
-- Jay