sanity checks?

Joe Davison halting at comcast.net
Fri Dec 7 09:27:58 PST 2007

Yesterday, on my other machine, I  did  "port upgrade all" when I
should have done "port upgrade installed".

Today I stopped by the machine (867 MHz G4, OS 10.4.11)  and it was
still chugging along...
Luckily I'd added "-v" and " | tee logfile" so a "grep -i fetching
logifile" showed it was busily upgrading packages I'd never installed
(or don't remember installing).  I killed it because I do want to  be
able to use the machine occasionally...

Is the behavior of "upgrade all" reasonable?  I do recognize that one
can claim that an uninstalled package is upgraded by installing it,
but that seems a stretch.   Offhand, I'd think "upgrade" would skip
packages that weren't installed.

That might better be done by a simple sanity check on the command
line args -- are there really people who could reasonably mean to
install every package in every tree?

joe