customizing ./configure flags (gdal)

Tim Jones tim at tjones.cc
Sat Dec 8 18:10:03 PST 2007

First time posting to this list. I am sure this question is
frequently asked here, but I haven't found it in the FAQ or archives.

What should I do if I want to install a MacPorts package using
configure options that are not covered by any of the package's
included variants?

For instance: I'm trying to install GDAL with MySQL support. If I was
doing an ordinary non-MacPorts installation, I'd just extract the
GDAL tarball and run "./configure" with the "–with-mysql=/path/to/
mysql_config" flag. Then make install etc.

But MacPorts' GDAL package doesnt include an option for this.

So, I'm not sure if there is a special flag I can add to my "port
install" command, or if I can/should edit GDAL's portfile before
installing, or if I am asking for the impossible and ought to find a
way to install this package without using MacPorts, or something else.

Any advice and suggestions will be appreciated. Much thanks,
=Tim Jones=
toneland.net