Oracle support in PHP?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Dec 9 08:40:57 PST 2007

On Nov 21, 2007, at 21:01, John Korchok wrote:

> I was recently required to start connecting to Oracle databases for
> some of
> the pages I serve. I was wondering if we ever might see an -oci8
> variant
> that installs the Oracle library for php4/php5?

John and I have been communicating about this off-list, and I've just
committed a new port "oracle-instantclient" and also added a variant
"+oracle" to the php5 port. (Would naming the variant "+oci8" have
been better?)

There's a ticket filed for this enhancement request:

http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/ticket/13530

Check the ticket for information on fetch failures you might
encounter and what to do about them.

I don't have an Oracle server to test with, so I'll be relying on
John and anyone else who uses Oracle to send me feedback. Thanks.

Note that this is for PowerPC Macs only. Blame Oracle.

You may need to follow some of the setup instructions here; I'm not
sure:

http://www.php.net/oci8

You should not, however, need to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH (or its Mac OS X
equivalents DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH and DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH). That
should already be adequately taken care of by the oracle-
instantclient port.