plans for 64bit support

Daniel Oberhoff daniel at danieloberhoff.de
Tue Dec 11 11:05:40 PST 2007

Am 11.12.2007 um 09:50 schrieb Ryan Schmidt:

> [...]
>>> maybe Leopard being a full 64-bit system makes 64-bit binaries
>>> more relevant.
>>>
>>> Perhaps we could do 4-way universal binaries only when MacPorts is
>>> running on Leopard.... but that might be a bad idea, since only
>>> people running Leopard could  then develop and test this.
>>>
>>> We could introduce a new automatic variant... +universal4?
>>> +universal64? People could test with this new variant and if any
>>> problems are encountered it would not prevent anyone from using
>>> the existing 2-way 32-bit +universal variant. I'm wary of this
>>> though... I wouldn't want, say, "universal64" directives to start
>>> appearing in portfiles, if we want to eventually fold +universal64
>>> into +universal.
>>>
>>> Just some thoughts off the top of my head.
>>
>> Hmm, ok. That makes sense, since I upgraded with an installed
>> macports base. I suppose I should really reinstall all then, since
>> otherwise I will end up with a crazy mix?
>
> Yes, if you're moving from one architecture to another (G4->G5, PPC-
> >Intel, 32-bit->64-bit, etc.) you should really throw away your old
> MacPorts (saving any conf files or databases or other data) and
> rebuild all your ports.
>
>> Though, per default on Leopard compilation seems to be 32 bit. When
>> you just compile something without further options pointer size is
>> 32bit. Only when you specify -arch x86_64 or -m64 do you get 64bit.
>
> Ah, I see. I didn't know. I haven't had a 64-bit machine.
>
>> So it would really make sense to have both (but not ppc). So I
>> would vote for an autamatic variant to get intel only 32/64bit.
>
> So by default we build 32-bit binaries for the host architecture.
> And we have a +universal variant for building 32-bit binaries for
> both architectures. You want an additional variant for building fat
> 32-bit and 64-bit Intel binaries. Do we then also need a separate
> variant for building fat 32-bit and 64-bit PowerPC binaries? And
> what about a fat universal variant with all 4 options? This
> proliferation of variants is what I want to avoid. Most users will
> not need it and it will confuse some of them. It's much extra work
> for some portfile authors, because some software (rather a lot,
> actually) does not build successful universal binaries using the
> simple tricks, and much more work is required to build universal.
> See for example the openssl port (which, to build universal, you'll
> have to back-date to version 0.9.8e because of bug #12911) which
> goes through crazy hoops to build first for one architecture, then
> the other, then lipo them together. Similar (though perhaps not
> identical) hoops would have to be gone through for fat binaries or 4-
> way binaries. Well, that is until MacPorts base grows some universal-
> build helpers. (I still really think MacPorts base should have an
> easy way to build a port multiple times, once for each architecture,
> and lipo it together, automatically, selected with just a single

Yah, that doesn't sound fun. Would it be feasible to make these
incremental? After all the mechanism to combine architectures is
always the same (use -arch flags, lipo...). I.e. make it possible to
say +64 +32 +ppc +intel to get the 4way build or just +ppc +intel to
get a two way build. Or at least have something like that behind the
scenes, and just offer specializations if some of the variants need
some special care.

Alternatively maybe have two macports trees, one with 64bit, one with
32bit. Kinda like those lib64 dirs on some linux flavours. Is that
possible right now?

> Why, by the way, do you need 64-bit octave? Just curious.

Various reasons:

1) I do get data clumps in the gigabyte range sometimes. Yes, it does
lead to some paging, but that's better than a crash with out of
memory :).
2) this is more of a hack: I use Judy for some sparse double precision
structs, and since Judy constrains data size to sizeof(void*) I need
64 bit.
3) afaik 64bit has more registers than 32bit on intel architecture,
avoiding register spillage, which sometimes snails some of my code.

all in all, it is not critical right now. But every now and then 64bit
would help a lot. Maybe not always though. Also due to the policy on
Leopard to default to 32bit would probably make it hard to make do
with an exclusive 64bit set of libraries.

Hmm, thinking of that: is it possible to convince port _not_ to switch
over to 64bit now? I'd rather have a clean set of 32 bit libs :).

Best

Daniel