plans for 64bit support

Daniel Oberhoff daniel at danieloberhoff.de
Wed Dec 12 04:28:02 PST 2007

> > a) I could prevent this (i.e. have it build 32bit as before)
> > b) If I could have two completely independent macports repos on my
> > disk, one built 32bit and one 64bit. This would be ideal since most
> > everyday stuff is 32bit, and only some libs and stuiff are needed
> > for 64. I would go as far as saying this latter option would be the
> > best solution (less hassle than doing universal builds and better
> > controllable),
> >
> > for the 32/64 bit versions I would really like this supported in
> > macports properly, and not have to fiddle with build flags... I
> > would like a repo-constant switch for this. I.e. some repo (I refer
> > to repo as a local macports install tree, i.e. what is usually
> > under /opt/local) would be set up as 64bit and always be 64bit from
> > there on (i.e. update, install and all when on this repo do 64bit
> > builds). And another would be 32bit. One could do the same for ppc.
> > I think real universal binaries are only ever needed for
> > distribution, and then one can always go and lipo things by hand.
> >
> > So is this kind of repo-based architecture selection possible. And
> > the installation of multiple macports repos? If not I would even
> > help make it possible if someone gets me started :).
> >

> By default the Apple compilers will produce 32 bit binaries, so if
> you don't do anything, you'll end up with 32 bit ppc or i386
> binaries. We currently don't have a switch to enable 64 bit binaries,
> so no: "just" installing MacPorts a 2nd time isn't getting you
> anywhere near there.
> I'd recommend (for now) to hack the portconfigure.tcl [1] file and
> replace "-arch i386 -arch ppc" with "-arch i386 -arch x86_64", then
> build the stuff you need with "+universal".
> For more awesomeness to happen sooner, I'd advice to start hacking
> port(1) with us... ;)

Hehe :). Well, I would first like to know if and how I can install a second
macports tree. As I would prefer that over building inversals. Once I get
there I will see how I can force one tree to build 64bit and report on what
I come up with. But I might also play with that universal hack...if it is
that easy, why can't it be automated?

Daniel