First port installation fails

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Wed Dec 12 06:23:17 PST 2007

On Dec 12, 2007, at 7:26 AM, Weissmann Markus wrote:
>> After installing several ports, it aborted with:
>>
>> --->  Activating p5-pathtools 3.25_0
>> Error: Target org.macports.activate returned: Image error: /opt/
>> local/lib/perl5/5.8.8/darwin-2level/auto/Cwd/Cwd.bs is being used
>> by the active perl5.8 port.  Please deactivate this port first, or
>> use the -f flag to force the activation.
>
> Then it probably is a bug -- I've cc'ed Daniel, he probably knows
> best what this could be as he is the maintainer of "p5-pathtools".

The p5-pathtools needs to overwrite the older pathtools that come with
perl5.8 in order to be found (perl searches the vendor location last
by default, and the perl community consensus is that this is the
appropriate way to upgrade modules that ship with perl).

To that end, p5-pathtools would have printed out:

"You must install or activate this package with '-f' (force) as it
needs to overwrite files installed by the perl5.8 port"

You can run `sudo port -f install p5-pathtools` and then try
installing firefox-x11 again and it should work.

--
Daniel J. Luke