invalid command name on some downloads

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Dec 13 07:20:56 PST 2007

This discussion belongs on macports-users, not in my personal
mailbox; please remember to use Reply To All.

On Dec 13, 2007, at 08:52, Barry McInnes wrote:

> Thanks for the help Ryan.
>
> On 12/12/07 4:05 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Dec 12, 2007, at 13:51, Barry McInnes wrote:
>>
>>> We have a clean install of 10.5 and update to 10.5.1.
>>> macport version
>>> [mac27:~/sun/info] bmcinnes% port --version
>>> MacPorts 1.520
>>>
>>> Some installs work, others don't
>>>
>>> [mac27:~/sun/info] bmcinnes% sudo port uninstall gimp
>>> Error: port uninstall failed: Registry error: gimp not registered as
>>> installed.
>>
>> That looks normal to me. Or did you believe you had the gimp port
>> installed? What is the output of "port installed"?
>
> [mac27:~] root# port installed
> The following ports are currently installed:
>   FreeSOLID @2.1.1_0 (active)
>   ImageMagick @6.3.7-1_1+no_x11+perl+q16 (active)
>   afni @2007.04.18.1830_0 (active)
>   archimedes @0.0.4_0 (active)
>   bzip2 @1.0.4_1 (active)
>   cdo @1.0.8_0 (active)
>   curl @7.17.1_0 (active)
>   expat @2.0.1_0 (active)
>   fftw-3 @3.1.2_0 (active)
>   fftw-3-single @3.1.2_0 (active)
>   fontconfig @2.5.0_0+macosx (active)
>   freehdl @0.0.4_0 (active)
>   freetype @2.3.5_1 (active)
>   gdal @1.4.1_0 (active)
>   geos @2.2.3_0+darwin_9 (active)
>   gerris @0.9.2_0 (active)
>   gettext @0.17_1 (active)
>   giflib @4.1.6_0 (active)
>   glib2 @2.14.4_1+darwin_9 (active)
>   gplcver @2.12a_0 (active)
>   gts @0.7.6_0 (active)
>   hdf5 @1.6.6_1 (active)
>   iverilog @0.8.2_0 (active)
>   jasper @1.701.0_0 (active)
>   jmol @11.2.14_0 (active)
>   jpeg @6b_2 (active)
>   lammpi @7.1.3_0 (active)
>   libdap @3.7.8_0 (active)
>   libframe @6.24_0 (active)
>   libgeotiff @1.2.1_0 (active)
>   libiconv @1.12_0 (active)
>   libpng @1.2.23_0 (active)
>   libxml2 @2.6.30_0 (active)
>   magic @7.4.24_0 (active)
>   metaio @7.2_0 (active)
>   netcdf @3.6.2_0 (active)
>   netpbm @10.26.47_0 (active)
>   openssl @0.9.8g_0 (active)
>   perl5.8 @5.8.8_0 (active)
>   pkgconfig @0.22_0 (active)
>   proj @4.5.0_0 (active)
>   python24 @2.4.4_1+darwin_9 (active)
>   tiff @3.8.2_1 (active)
>   whirlgif @3.04_0 (active)
>   zlib @1.2.3_1 (active)

Ok, so "gimp" is not installed, so it's normal that "sudo port
uninstall gimp" would produce an error message.

>>> [mac27:~/sun/info] bmcinnes% sudo port install gimp2
>>> Error: Unable to execute port: invalid command name
>>> "destroot.violate_mtree"
>>> [mac27:~/sun/info] bmcinnes% sudo port install gnuplot
>>> Password:
>>> Error: Unable to execute port: invalid command name
>>> "destroot.violate_mtree"
>>> [mac27:~/sun/info] bmcinnes%
>>
>> destroot.violate_mtree was added in MacPorts 1.5.1 and improved
>> quickly
>> in 1.5.2.
>>
>> You installed 1.5.0 from the disk image for Leopard, I presume?
>> Did you
>> then "sudo port selfupdate" to upgrade to 1.5.2? I mean, "port" says
>> you're running 1.520, a.k.a. 1.5.2, but its behavior matches that of
>> 1.5.0. So this is odd.
>
> Yes I installed the 1.5.0 dmg via the GUI, the  have done multiple
> port selfupdate
> [mac27:~] root# port selfupdate
> MacPorts base version 1.520 installed
> Downloaded MacPorts base version 1.520
> The MacPorts installation is not outdated and so was not updated
> selfupdate done!
> [mac27:~]
>
> The only thing I can see which shouldn't be a problem was I installed
> into /opt/local, then tarred to another partition, and have a sym link
> form /opt/local to the moved files. I did an rsync as well.

The symlink might be ok, but I've never tried it that way.

What do you mean, you did an rsync as well? What did you rsync, using
what command?

> I can do it all again, after removing all the files ?
>
> I did some installs using options otherwise they would not install
>
> sudo port install tiff -macosx

You shouldn't need to do that. The macosx variant is automatically
enabled on Mac OS X. I have installed tiff with +macosx with no
problems. What problems did you encounter?