Ion3 license and possible removal

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Dec 13 15:01:11 PST 2007

On Dec 13, 2007, at 16:13, paul beard wrote:

> On 12/13/07, Rainer Müller wrote:
>
>> For me this sounds like a removal request... What is the problem
>> with a
>> version more than 28 days old? In my personal opinion ion3 with this
>> license addition does not qualify as free software any more.
>> Definitely
>> remove it.
>>>

> Wow, from that thread, I would have to agree. for those not
> inclined to read through the flamethread, FreeBSD is in a ports
> freeze, where updates and changes are verboten, unless they are to
> fix an issue like a segfault or the like: these often last a month,
> and that would span the 28 days.
>
> Never heard of ion3 before today, and I guess I won't miss it.

Yeah, that's a pretty fantastic thread on the FreeBSD list there. The
software has been removed from FreeBSD and will not be added back in:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2007-December/
045576.html

MacPorts should probably remove it too, though I'd suggest leaving
the portfile with a message in it that the software is not available
through MacPorts and must be installed by hand, explaining why. Just
to prevent someone from inadvertently adding it back in later. The
message could perhaps also indicate other alternatives that are still
available through MacPorts, if we thought that was appropriate. The
port revision should be incremented, and users should see the message
upon upgrading. I would want to ensure that any existing users of the
port are made aware that it is gone; otherwise they would retain the
old version forever, which the software author surely does not want.