First port installation fails

Markus Weissmann mww at macports.org
Thu Dec 13 08:04:48 PST 2007

On Dec 13, 2007, at 4:50 PM, Richard Tobin wrote:

>> As the
>> error message says:
>>
>> "You must install or activate this package with '-f' (force) as it
>> needs to overwrite files installed by the perl5.8 port"
>
> The problem is not that the error message isn't clear.  It's that you
> don't expect to get error messages during port installations unless
> your port system is messed up.  There's no indication that this
> particular error is expected.

hmmm... indeed - would it be possible to make a perl5.8 port that uses
a perl5.8-minimal and all the modules that would otherwise need to
overwrite parts of the perl5.8 port? Or could we make perl give the
"vendor" modules a higher precedence?
Does someone know which perl-ports need to replace parts of perl5.8?

Rgards,

-Markus

--
Dipl. Inf. (FH) Markus W. Weissmann