ion3 window manager no longer available

Joerg van den Hoff j.van_den_hoff at fzd.de
Mon Dec 17 04:35:00 PST 2007

to  whom  it  may  concern  (hopefully  one  of the macports
maintainers):

I've  got  this  message  from  `ports' today when trying to
upgrade the `ion3' window manager:

% port upgrade ion3:

This port has been removed due to concerns on the software license used.
Should you still want to install it, have a look at:
http://modeemi.cs.tut.fi/~tuomov/ion/.
You can also choose to try out another window manager; to list all the
ones directly available using MacPorts, issue the following command:
port list category:x11-wm
license text, I nevertheless believe the real concern of the
author is that he should not be "spammed"  by  users  having
installed  some "obsolete"  (which means a few weeks old for
him) version. he seems to demand only clear notification  of
the users, which is an "interpretation-prone" thing.

since  `ion3'  actually  is a very fine window manager for a
certain type of work, may I ask  you  to  check  whether  it
would'nt  be  sufficient  to  modify  the  package info line
accordingly with some "wildcard" disclaimer of the kind:

"if  this  version is older than xxx weeks, please take note
that this version is considered "obsolete" by  the  original
author. upgrade manually to the most recent version found at
http://modeemi.cs.tut.fi/~tuomov/ion/  before  sending   bug
reports or questions to the author"

I'm  under  the  impression that there is no real issue here
apart from the ion3 author  creating  a  complication  which
you,  the  package  maintainer  may find unnecessary (you're
probably  right).

I'd  appreciate  very  much  seeing `ion3' again on macports
(and  one  could  give  other  systems  (e.g.  FreeBSD,  the
different  Linuxes)  a  hint  how  to  circumvent/solve  the
license issue).

thanks a lot (for macports in general I mean)

joerg