Ion3 license and possible removal

Emmanuel Hainry milosh at macports.org
Mon Dec 17 05:58:14 PST 2007

Citando Rainer Müller :
> Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> > Or change the name of the software. These restrictions apply only
> > in this case:
> >
> > [quoted from the LICENSE file]
> >   If the name Ion(tm) or other names that can be associated with the Ion
> >   project are used to distribute this software, then:
> > [/quoted]
>
> Seems like Debian did this and renamed ion3 to ParticleMan. At least I
> found this blog entry [1] about it and the packages are already in some
> trees. As an alternative of removing it, maybe we can just grab the
> sources from them and keep it with another name?
>
> Rainer
>
> [1] http://womble.decadent.org.uk/blog/introducing-particleman.html

Ha, particleman, that's it! Thank you for saying that name. I remember
having seen this blog post but later could not find the name back.
However, it is not yet in debian, there is only an "intent to package".
That's the reason why I decided to use awesome which is quite similar to
wmii but with less luggage (and wmii's version in macports is no longer
supported by the developper), and made a port for it.

It would be great if ParticleMan could make its way in macports sooner
or later.

Emmanuel