py25-psycopg2 <-> postgresql81 not talking

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Dec 19 22:50:05 PST 2007

On Dec 19, 2007, at 19:36, Micheal Cooper wrote:

> I went through several attempts to install a django dev
> environment, and in the process I installed different versions of
> python from dmg and macports, uninstalled, etc. In the end, I
> uninstalled everything and then did:
> `sudo port install py25-psycopg2`
> which also installed postgresql81 and python25, then I did
> 'sudo port install postgresql81-server subversion'
> after which I should be ready to go, but I am not.
>
> When I run 'python manage.py runserver' in my django project
> directory, I get:
> raise ImproperlyConfigured("Error loading psycopg2 module: %s" % e)
> django.core.exceptions.ImproperlyConfigured: Error loading psycopg2
> module: dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/
> lib/python2.5/site-packages/psycopg2/_psycopg.so, 2): Library not
> loaded: /usr/local/pgsql/lib/libpq.4.dylib
>   Referenced from: /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/
> 2.5/lib/python2.5/site-packages/psycopg2/_psycopg.so

Danger, Will Robinson: /usr/local? The python25 port has
inadvertently been linked against the PostgreSQL library found in
your /usr/local directory. This is why we recommend not having
anything in /usr/local. Stuff there frequently conflicts with
MacPorts ports. Please move /usr/local elsewhere, for example /usr/
local-off, then rebuild any ports (such as python25) that have
inadvertently linked against things in /usr/local. Once you're sure
everything works, and once you've replaced anything in /usr/local-off
with ports, remove /usr/local-off.