general dependency questions

Emmanuel Hainry milosh at macports.org
Fri Dec 21 01:10:06 PST 2007

Citando Ryan Schmidt :

> On Dec 21, 2007, at 02:33, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Dec 20, 2007, at 15:35, Brian Barnes wrote:
>>
>>> I'm new to macports and experimenting with it.  To that end, I was
>>> wondering if there is a simple way to list all dependencies recursively
>>> in macports.  For example, the standard 'macports deps foo' command does
>>> not list the deps of the deps.  I found a perl script that does something
>>> similar in nature here:
>>> http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2007-April/002481.html
>>>
>>> But, I mean, who wants to run perl scripts instead of a port command?  :)
>>
>> I have a PHP script to do the same, and generate a graphviz graph out of
>> it. There's no built-in command in port.
>

> Though I do think it would be cool if there were a port command which would
> compute the dependencies recursively and output them as a textual tree
> (with indented lines, say).
>
> Also, I'd like a second port command which would output the dependency
> graph in graphviz dot format. And maybe even a way to have graphviz open
> that into a window so you could see it. Alas, that's not here yet, and
> there are probably more important things we should be working on.

Maybe you could make a portfile for it (which lets you use your
preferred language to code it) à la pkgdepgraph which is just another
package for pkgsrc and does this sort of things. It is not something
every user needs but would be pretty cool in a number of situations, so
it may not necessarily be in base.

Emmanuel