error installing DarwinPorts or MacPorts: no acceptable C compiler

jwegelin jwegelin at vcu.edu
Fri Dec 21 13:54:48 PST 2007

Dear Macports Users:

I am attempting to install MacPorts or DarwinPorts. When I follow the
directions at http://darwinports.com/download/ (after typing in my email
address), an error says "no acceptable C compiler."

My MacBook Pro was purchased circa July 2007 and runs Mac OS 10.4.11. Do
I have to purchase a C compiler before I can install MacPorts or
DarwinPorts? What C compiler should I purchase or download?

Details:

I downloaded DarwinPorts-1.5.0-10.4.dmg and doubleclicked it. This
brought up a dialog box which said it was installing MacPorts.  After
several minutes the dialog box said it was finished.

Then, following instructions at

http://darwinports.com/download/?email=jwegelin%40vcu.edu&x=53&y=12

I typed

sudo port -d selfupdate

which resulted in a lot of text scrolling past, ending with the folowing
error message:

configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
See `config.log' for more details.

     while executing
"macports::selfupdate [array get global_options]"
Error: /opt/local/bin/port: selfupdate failed: Error installing new
MacPorts base: shell command "cd
/opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/base &&
./configure --prefix=/opt/local --with-install-user=root
--with-install-group=admin --with-tclpackage=/Library/Tcl && make &&
make install" returned error 1
Command output: checking build system type... i686-apple-darwin8.11.1
checking host system type... i686-apple-darwin8.11.1
checking target system type... i686-apple-darwin8.11.1
checking for sw_vers... sw_vers
checking Mac OS X version... 10.4.11
checking MacPorts version... 1.6.0
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cl.exe... no
configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
See `config.log' for more details.

Inicidentally, the only reason I am trying to install this, is so that I
might install pine or alpine (email client) on my Mac. Would MacPorts or
DarwinPorts be an easy way to get pine (or preferably alpine) installed
properly on my Mac?

Also, is MacPorts the same as DarwinPorts? The file I downloaded was
called DarwinPorts, but after I doublelicked it, the name MacPorts
started coming up.

Thanks for any info

Jacob Wegelin