mysterious gtk-doc install

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Dec 23 21:13:20 PST 2007

On Dec 23, 2007, at 22:52, Dexter Douglas wrote:

> I have a problem with gtk-doc.  I just upgraded to
> MacPorts 1.600, and I upgraded my outdated packages.
> During the upgrade, gtk-doc and its dependencies were
> installed.  As far as I can tell nothing on my system
> needs this.  Does anyone understand why gtk-doc was
> installed?
>
> Below is a log of what I did.  I broke it into three
> parts.  Part one, is the
> the upgrade.  Part two is when gkt-doc installed
> itself.  Part three is where I looked at dependencies
> to figure out what happened.
>
> Thanks,
> Jim
>

> -----------------
> Part one
> -----------------
> hello$ sudo port selfupdate
> Password:
> MacPorts base version 1.520 installed
> Downloaded MacPorts base version 1.600
> Configuring, Building and Installing new MacPorts base
> selfupdate done!
>
> hello$ sudo port sync
> Password:

FYI: selfupdate already includes sync; you don't need to run sync
separately.

> hello$ port outdated
> The following installed ports are outdated:
> clamav                       0.91.2_0 < 0.92_0
>
> gettext                       0.17_1 < 0.17_2
>
> ImageMagick             6.3.7-1_1 < 6.3.7-6_0
> libpng                         1.2.23_0 < 1.2.24_0
>
> xrender                        0.9.0_1 < 0.9.0_2

I agree, none of those ports, nor any of their dependents, depend on
gtk-doc at all. The string "gtk-doc" does not appear in these
portfiles. However:

> hello$ sudo port upgrade installed

[snip]

You didn't ask to upgrade outdated ports. You asked to upgrade
installed ports. Therefore we need to look at the portfiles of all
your installed ports, not just the outdated ones, to see if any of
them mention gtk-doc.

> I did not expect these packages to be installed:
> xmlcatmgr 2.2_1
> docbook-xml-4.1.2 4.1.2_1
> docbook-xsl 1.72.0_0
> perl5.8 5.8.8_0
> docbook-xml-4.2 4.2_0
> docbook-xml-4.3 4.3_0
> docbook-xml-4.4 4.4_0
> docbook-xml-4.5 4.5_0
> docbook-xml 4.5_1
> libxslt 1.1.22_0
> p5-xml-parser 2.36_0
> scrollkeeper 0.3.14_6
> gtk-doc 1.9_0

This boils down to "I did not expect gtk-doc to be installed." The
rest of the ports you listed are in one way or another dependencies
of gtk-doc. If you'll give us the output of "port installed" we can
see if any of those ports reference gtk-doc.