gnumeric build troubles

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Dec 27 11:20:24 PST 2007

On Dec 27, 2007, at 12:54, William Davis wrote:

> On Dec 27, 2007, at 12:37, Michael J. Vollinger wrote:
>
>> I am trying to install gnumeric on a MacBook Pro and keeping
>> getting this error message:
>>
>> You must install or activate this package with '-f' (force) as it
>> needs to overwrite files installed by the perl5.8 port
>> --->  Installing p5-getopt-long 2.37_0
>> --->  Activating p5-getopt-long 2.37_0
>> Error: Target org.macports.activate returned: Image error: /opt/
>> local/lib/perl5/5.8.8/Getopt/Long.pm is being used by the active
>> perl5.8 port.  Please deactivate this port first, or use the -f
>> flag to force the activation.
>> Error: The following dependencies failed to build: goffice
>> libgnomeprintui gnome-icon-theme icon-naming-utils p5-getopt-long
>> p5-xml-simple p5-test-simple p5-test-harness p5-xml-
>> namespacesupport p5-xml-sax gtk2 atk cairo fontconfig freetype
>> libpng render xrender gtk-doc jpeg pango Xft2 xorg-xproto xorg-
>> util-macros tiff libgnomecanvas gail intltool libart_lgpl
>> libglade2 libgnomeprint bison m4 libgnomecups popt libgsf gnome-
>> vfs gconf orbit2 libidl gnome-mime-data howl neon libbonobo pcre
>> Error: Status 1 encountered during processing.
>> tephra:~ mikev$
>>
>> I am fairly new to this stuff. Can anyone give me any pointers
>> please?
>
> sudo port -f install foo

Welcome to MacPorts!

At this point, "foo" (that is: p5-getopt-long) is already installed,
just not activated, so rather than "sudo port -f install p5-getopt-
long" you really just need to "sudo port -f activate p5-getopt-long".
Then you can proceed with whatever other installation you were doing.
(And you should do so as before, without the -f option, unless told
to use that option.)