How can I tell if a port is installed as +universal?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Dec 28 09:08:45 PST 2007

On Dec 28, 2007, at 10:58, lisfolks wrote:

> If I understand the Trac FAQ correctly, if I'm on an Intel-based
> Mac (such as
> my MacBook Pro), ports will install as +universal by default (if
> they have a
> +universal variant, anyway).  Is that true?

No. If you're on an Intel Mac, Intel binaries get built by default.
If you're on a PowerPC Mac, PowerPC binaries get built by default. On
either kind of Mac, if you ask for the +universal variant, universal
(combined PowerPC and Intel) binaries get built.

This is the general case. Certain individual ports may always build
universal even if you didn't ask for it.

If you could suggest any changes we could make to the FAQ entry to
make this more clear, by all means please do.

http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/wiki/
FAQ#IsMacPortsUniversal

> Also, how can I tell which variant a port has been installed as?

"port installed foo" will show you what variants were selected to
install foo.