How can I tell if a port is installed as +universal?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Dec 28 10:31:04 PST 2007

On Dec 28, 2007, at 11:37, LeAnne Lis wrote:

> If I want to update all of my ports to +universal, then, what would
> be the
> best way?  I'm guessing, based on the FAQ, that probably I should
> completely
> remove my MacPorts installation and start over?

Complete removal and reinstallation of MacPorts is a good idea if you
have, for example, all of your ports built for PowerPC, but have
migrated to an Intel Mac.

But if you have all your ports built for the correct architecture for
your system already, and just want to start installing universal
versions, then you can do it a bit at a time. I'm doing this. Look at
your installed ports, and find one that has no dependencies. ("port
deps foo" will tell you.) For example, you probably have zlib
installed, and zlib has no dependencies. Forcibly uninstall this port
and reinstall it with the +universal variant:

sudo port -f uninstall zlib
sudo port clean --work zlib
sudo port install zlib +universal

Once that builds, do the same for another port with no dependencies,
or one which depends only on the ports you've already reinstalled as
universal. For example, libpng only depends on zlib, so if you've
rebuilt zlib universal, you can then try installing libpng universal.

You certainly could alternately just delete all of MacPorts and
reinstall, always selecting the +universal variant when installing
ports. But some ports may not yet build universal, so you might be
forced to install some ports non-universal anyway.

Note that the only reason why you'd need to install universal
versions of ports at all is if you plan to use your installed ports
on both a PowerPC and an Intel Mac, for example if you install
MacPorts to an external hard drive that you move between a PowerPC
and an Intel Mac. If you're just using MacPorts on a single Mac, you
don't need universal ports.