macports python crashing?

Kevin Ballard eridius at macports.org
Thu Feb 1 08:38:48 PST 2007

Not really. The /opt/local directory hierarchy is root:admin, and the
work directories exist as part of this hierarchy, so simply creating
the work directory requires root privileges. This is in general a
Good Thing, as it means unprivileged users can't build their own
packages through port. You could go and modify the /opt/local/var/db/
dports/build tree to be user-writable, at which point you can *build*
software without sudo (using, say, port destroot <software>, though
you'd have to install dependencies first or it will try to do so and
fail at installation), and then install it with sudo.

If you set the entire /opt/local tree to be user-writable, you should
be able to fully install stuff without sudo, as long as it doesn't go
out of that tree (a common exception that comes to mind is stuff that
installs in /Applications/DarwinPorts).

I assume you're concerned about random software build processes being
run with root privileges, yes? It seems to me the best solution is to
run the actual configure/build/destroot steps themselves in an
unprivileged child process (after ensuring that the extracted source
is user-writable). Is that what you'd be interested in seeing?

--
Kevin Ballard
http://kevin.sb.org
eridius at macports.org