port upgrade -R dbus goes bananas, plus a couple of newbie Q's

Michael K. Edwards m.k.edwards at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 00:17:03 PST 2007

On 2/1/07, Kevin Ballard <eridius at macports.org> wrote:
> What do you mean by this? In what way is it "insistent"? Does installing
> libgda with a variant, then installing gtk-sharp cause it to try and
> re-install libgda? Or does the gtk-sharp compilation simply fail? Or does
> something else happen?

Sorry, didn't save that particular error message; it was something to
the effect of "active variant doesn't match the dependency".  In the
meantime, I eventually wiped /opt/local and reinstalled macports to
deal with the dbus fallout.  libgda now doesn't build without the bdb
variant (even without --with-bdb the configure step picks up
/usr/include/db.h, which is useless).  So I set up a local Portfile
repo and altered the libgda Portfile to add --without-bdb and modify
the default variants.  That seems to have been enough to fool
gtk-sharp into deciding its dependencies are satisfied.  Building
gtk-sharp 2.10.0 as we speak.

Cheers,
- Michael