gworkspace install failed

Joerg van den Hoff j.van_den_hoff at fzd.de
Tue Feb 6 09:12:03 PST 2007

hello,

I tried installing gworkspace via macports on a G5 (10.4.8.)

this ran initially smooth until the line

---> Configuring gnutls

below is the `port -v' output which follows at that point:

====cut=======
checking build system type... powerpc-apple-darwin8.8.0
checking host system type... powerpc-apple-darwin8.8.0
checking target system type... powerpc-apple-darwin8.8.0
checking for gawk... no
checking for mawk... no
checking for nawk... no
checking for awk... awk
configure: autobuild project... gnutls
configure: autobuild revision... 1.4.1
configure: autobuild hostname... marco.fz-rossendorf.de
configure: autobuild timestamp... 20070206-115657
checking whether in dmalloc mode... no
checking whether in electric fence mode... no
checking whether in developer mode... no
checking whether in profile mode... no
***
*** Checking for compilation programs...

checking whether NLS is requested... yes
checking for msgfmt... /opt/local/bin/msgfmt
checking for gmsgfmt... /opt/local/bin/msgfmt
checking for xgettext... /opt/local/bin/xgettext
checking for msgmerge... /opt/local/bin/msgmerge
checking for gcc... /usr/bin/gcc-4.0
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether /usr/bin/gcc-4.0 accepts -g... yes
checking for /usr/bin/gcc-4.0 option to accept ISO C89... none needed
checking dependency style of /usr/bin/gcc-4.0... gcc3
checking for ld used by GCC... /usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... no
checking for shared library run path origin... done
checking for CFPreferencesCopyAppValue... yes
checking for CFLocaleCopyCurrent... yes
checking whether NLS is requested... yes
checking for GNU gettext in libc... no
checking for iconv... yes
checking how to link with libiconv... -liconv
checking for GNU gettext in libintl... yes
checking whether to use NLS... yes
checking where the gettext function comes from... external libintl
checking how to link with libintl... -lintl -liconv -lc -Wl,-framework -Wl,CoreFoundation
checking for gcc... (cached) /usr/bin/gcc-4.0
checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... (cached) yes
checking whether /usr/bin/gcc-4.0 accepts -g... (cached) yes
checking for /usr/bin/gcc-4.0 option to accept ISO C89... (cached) none needed
checking dependency style of /usr/bin/gcc-4.0... (cached) gcc3
checking whether ln -s works... yes
***
*** Detecting compiler options...

checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for inline... inline
checking whether C99 macros are supported... yes
checking if gcc supports -Wno-pointer-sign... yes
checking whether we have GNU assembler... no
***
*** Detecting C library capabilities...

checking how to run the C preprocessor... /usr/bin/cpp-4.0
checking for grep that handles long lines and -e... /usr/bin/grep
checking for egrep... /usr/bin/grep -E
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking whether time.h and sys/time.h may both be included... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... (cached) yes
checking for strings.h... (cached) yes
checking stddef.h usability... yes
checking stddef.h presence... yes
checking for stddef.h... yes
checking alloca.h usability... yes
checking alloca.h presence... yes
checking for alloca.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... (cached) yes
checking for sys/types.h... (cached) yes
checking sys/socket.h usability... yes
checking sys/socket.h presence... yes
checking for sys/socket.h... yes
checking errno.h usability... yes
checking errno.h presence... yes
checking for errno.h... yes
checking sys/time.h usability... yes
checking sys/time.h presence... yes
checking for sys/time.h... yes
checking time.h usability... yes
checking time.h presence... yes
checking for time.h... yes
checking math.h usability... yes
checking math.h presence... yes
checking for math.h... yes
checking limits.h usability... yes
checking limits.h presence... yes
checking for limits.h... yes
checking float.h usability... yes
checking float.h presence... yes
checking for float.h... yes
checking stdarg.h usability... yes
checking stdarg.h presence... yes
checking for stdarg.h... yes
checking ctype.h usability... yes
checking ctype.h presence... yes
checking for ctype.h... yes
checking netdb.h usability... yes
checking netdb.h presence... yes
checking for netdb.h... yes
checking for umask... yes
checking for vasprintf... yes
checking for isascii... yes
checking for memmove... yes
checking for memmem... no
checking for mmap... yes
checking for gmtime_r... yes
checking for working alloca.h... yes
checking for alloca... yes
***
*** Detecting system's parameters...

checking for unsigned long... yes
checking size of unsigned long... 4
checking for unsigned int... yes
checking size of unsigned int... 4
checking for uint... yes
checking for ssize_t... yes
checking whether byte ordering is bigendian... yes
***
*** Checking for external libraries...

checking for libgcrypt-config... /opt/local/bin/libgcrypt-config
checking for LIBGCRYPT - version >= 1.2.2... yes
checking LIBGCRYPT API version... okay
checking whether to disable SRP authentication support... no
checking whether to disable PSK authentication support... no
checking whether to disable anonymous authentication support... no
checking whether to disable extra PKI stuff... no
checking whether to disable OpenPGP Certificate authentication support... no
checking for opencdk-config... /opt/local/bin/opencdk-config
=========================cut========================

from here, the installation hangs forever (i.e. overnight, >= 8h).

the script `/opt/local/bin/opencdk-config' is in the required place and executable but not
in the list of running processes.

`top' reveals that at this time a process `Conftest' uses 50% CPU time, the other 50% is
used by `kernel_tas'.

ktracing `Conftest' (even with `-id') does not yield a single line of output.
ktracing `kernel_tas' does not give any helpful output (at least not for me).

incidentally, while I executed the `ktrace' in one case a message turned up in that  terminal:

Cannot write to "/sw/bin /sw/sbin /opt/local/bin . /Users/vdh/exec /soft/bin
/usr/local/bin /Applications/xsoft/ecat PATH /opt/local/bin . /Users/vdh/exec
/soft/bin /usr/local/bin /bin /sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin /Applications/xsoft/ecat
/usr/X11R6/bin /usr/X11R6/bin"  (press RETURN)
===cut===

I can only guess that this somehow is an error message from the hanging process which
otherwise remained unvisible.

any ideas appreciated

joerg