recommended "dependencies?"

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Feb 8 13:51:06 PST 2007

On Feb 8, 2007, at 14:24, Elias Pipping wrote:

> On Feb 8, 2007, at 8:47 PM, Mike Roberts wrote:
>
>> is there a way to specify recommended ports? for example, say i'm
>> maintaining the lyx port. the latex2rtf port and a dvi previewer are
>> useful for certain lyx features to work but are technically
>> unnecessary
>> for minimal lyx functionality.
>
> how about variants?

I would say creating variants for this optional functionality would
be best. It would be bad if two different people ran the same command
("sudo port install lyx") and ended up with different functionality,
just because one of them had, for example, the latex2rtf port already
installed and the other did not.

You should create a variant for latex2rtf support, and for any other
such optional features. If the variant is specified, add a dependency
on the latex2rtf port and build lyx with support for latex2rtf. If
the variant is not specified, lyx *must not* build with latex2rtf
support, even if the latex2rtf port is already installed. (Use a --
without-latex2rtf switch, or whatever the lyx project provides to do
that).