recommended "dependencies?"

Randall Wood rhwood at mac.com
Fri Feb 9 19:13:11 PST 2007

A while back (about 6 months ago I think), I proposed a standard for
naming variants.

As I recall, there seemed to be a consensus that I had a good idea,
but that details needed to be worked out. I (and I think a couple of
others) began using variants as I proposed, although I notice that
recently someone took one of the ports that I wrote and renamed all
the variants I had  as they were "nonstandard"

Anyway, here's the proposal again, tweaked to not require any changes
in the port command:

> I have noticed that most variants add or delete a configure flag in
> the form of +enable_*/+disable_*/+with_*/+without_* and maybe add
> or delete a related dependency.
>
> Therefore, I propose that all variants should fit the following forms:
>
> enable_*/disable_* (Enable or disable a feature that may depend on
> something else that a user may or may not want installed. For
> example: +enable_python or +disable_python to build a port that can
> optionally use python to extend functionality)
>
> with_*/without_* (Build with a certain port to provide a backend
> service or to change some aspect of how the program works without
> changing the program's functionality. For example: +with_gnome or
> +without_gnome to build a port that uses gnome standard file open/
> close dialogs instead of gtk file open/close dialogs)
>
> Changing this variant structure has, I believe, the following
> benefits:
>
> 1) Adding the verb enable/disable/with/without makes the variant
> more meaningful to users. I know there have been comments on the
> mailing list about the inability to comment on variants such that
> 'port info' is capable of explaining what each variant does. The
> verb will help address those complaints.
>
> 2) There are currently variants no-*, no_*, and no* These are
> inconsistent and do not tell me (the user) if I am disabling a
> feature (that some other port may depend on) or simply building the
> port without using some other package.
>
> 3) Negative variants are confusing. with-*/without-* is more
> readable than +*/-* as an indicator of  what is going on.

Further, I would add that having +disable_rtf and +enable_rtf
variants is a good idea, and that the default_variants mechanism
should be used to determine which will apply if none are specified.