Universal Binaries

Altoine Barker ndiscreet at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 10:23:45 PST 2007

I'm reading up on universal binaries and such now. I see your point but
I think it should be an option or flag that you can choose for any
particular port and not default for all ports, unless, an option to
choose to the contrary is selected to address memory space issues. I see
a need for what you are talking about and I desire such functionality
with the idea environment, which I do not have but you do. I would like
to sign up for such a cause, except, I am trying to get a few of my own
projects to the point where I would then need to look at macports
providing universal binary support. I think the premise of macports is
to be self-supporting without bloat for those that seek such a feature.

I agree for an enhanced macports that has that as an option and not
default. Since most open source code is written to be cross-platform,
there shouldn't be too many problems. Alot of work, but not too many
problems. Of course, an ability to choose the location of or a default
one created (i.e. /opt/local/universal) You wouldn't want to put it
under /System/Library/Frameworks since an update may flush your
universal ports. My $0.02.

- -Altoine

P.S. On further reading, I see it being possible. I just am not at that
point in my goals to incorporate that task. I am more than available to
test but I can not start or join such an endeavor until I finish a few
that I have now.