Octave on Intel Mac

M. White mwhite15 at woh.rr.com
Sun Feb 25 20:29:37 PST 2007

> Message: 5
> Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 21:50:05 -0500
> From: Anthony Michael Agelastos <iqgrande at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Octave on Intel Mac
> To: "Mark Duling" <mark.duling at biola.edu>
> Cc: macports-users at lists.macosforge.org, Jason Merrill
> 	<jason.merrill at yale.edu>
>
> On Feb 25, 2007, at 8:48 PM, Mark Duling wrote:
>
>> Octave was updated on Saturday at 6:42 AM.  I think if you do a 'port
>> selfupdate' that it will work for you.  I just installed it on my
>> MacBook
>> and it installed gcc42 automatically and worked fine.
> On my MacBook Pro...
>
> macko:~ iqgrande$ sudo port install octave +darwin_8_i386
> Portfile changed since last build; discarding previous state.
> --->  Fetching octave
> --->  Attempting to fetch octave-2.9.9.tar.bz2 from ftp://
> ftp.octave.org/pub/octave/bleeding-edge/
> --->  Verifying checksum(s) for octave
> --->  Extracting octave
> --->  Applying patches to octave
> --->  Configuring octave
> --->  Building octave with target all

I am not building on an intel platform, but since you had a failed
build, it may have caused problems.   You might try uninstalling and
cleaning both octave and gcc40 (if there are any remnants around) and
re-installing (hopefully you will not need to re-install gcc42).  [I
had octave fail earlier because I had a readline directory under /usr/
local/include that it was for some reason causing a conflict, so it
was trying to use that instead of grabbing what it needed].  You also
might see where gcc is pointing to (it is normally a symbolic link).

This may not help, but it  is something to try.

  - M.