emacs install breaking

Rob MacLeod macleod at cvrti.utah.edu
Mon Feb 26 21:29:42 PST 2007

Hi,

I am trying to get emacs working from MacPorts and my first try would
not launch its own X-window but ran in the xterm where I launched
it.  It also reported a warning that the directory

	/opt/local/share/emacs/21.4/leim

was missing, which it was when I went looking.  I am not sure what
this directory does or whether its absence explains why emacs was lamed.

I am now trying to do a fresh install of emacs but running into
problems.  I keep getting this error during installation:

--->  Activating emacs 21.4a_1+darwin_8
Error: Target com.apple.activate returned: File exists

I have tried uninstalling emacs using

	sudo port uninstall emacs

and then

	sudo port clean --all emacs

and still I get this same error.

Does anyone have any guesses about what might be going wrong.

As background, I have used fink since the beginning of OSX time, used
emacs on Unix for many more years before that.  I am trying to move
from Fink to Macports but so far, the experience is mixed.  I left
Fink because it was falling behind on new versions.  I hope MacPorts
will work for me...

Thanks,

Rob

Rob MacLeod, Ph.D.
University of Utah
Dept. of Bioengineering, CVRTI, and SCI (www.sci.utah.edu)
95 South 2000 East Room 207
Salt Lake City, Utah 84112-5000                 ____  __o
Internet:  macleod at cvrti.utah.edu              ____   -\<,
Phonemail: (801)587-9511                         ....0/ 0
Fax:       (801)581-3128
Nora Eccles Harrison Cardiovascular Research and Training Institute