crosscompiling macports, how hard is it?

John Labovitz johnl at johnlabovitz.com
Tue Jan 2 23:06:08 PST 2007

I've successfully used a combination of lipo(1) and install_name_tool
(1) to build universal versions of MacPorts libraries (built on
separate PPC/Intel machines, alas) so that everything the app needed
lived in <app>/Contents/Frameworks.  I used install_name_tool to
change any links to, eg, /opt/local so the linker would resolve them
within the app bundle instead.

This was for a client, so I can't post the actual script, but if
anyone's interested, I could probably write up a distilled version of
what I did.  It really wasn't very difficult.

--John