fresh install of port / xemacs issue

Arnaud Delobelle delobelle at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Jan 6 11:59:51 PST 2007

On 5 Jan 2007, at 03:00, belinda thom wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am repeating instructions for a G4 PB that I used to install the
> same configuration on my G5 Desktop.
>
> I began by installing port (via the 1.3.1 dmg and then running the
> selfupdate; port --version returns 1.320).
>
> I've tried to install xemacs via
>
> sudo port -v install xemacs +sumo +mule (just like I did on my
> other machine, about 1 mo ago), and it eventually dies with:
>
> -->  Attempting to fetch xemacs-mule-sumo-2006-05-10.tar.gz from
> http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/pub/mirrors/xemacs/packages/

If you go to the address above, you'll find no xemacs-mule-
sumo-2006-05-10.tar.gz but an xemacs-sumo-2006-12-21.tar.gz instead.
This is consistent with the fact it worked a month ago (before
2006-12-21). The Portfile needs to be updated to point at this, or
better, to point at xemacs-sumo.tar.gz which seems to be a link to
the latest build.  But then shouldn't this port be called xemacs-devel?

>   % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time
> Time  Current
>                                  Dload  Upload   Total   Spent
> Left  Speed
>   0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:-- --:--:--
> --:--:--     0
> Error: Target com.apple.fetch returned: fetch failed

... Thus the file can't be fetched

> Warning: the following items did not execute (for xemacs):
> com.apple.activate com.apple.fetch com.apple.extract
> com.apple.checksum com.apple.patch com.apple.configure
> com.apple.build com.apple.destroot com.apple.install
>
> any idea what's going wrong? I'd be very grateful for your input.

Ask the port maintainer to fix it!

HTH

--
Arnaud