dmg

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Jan 7 11:10:20 PST 2007

On Jan 7, 2007, at 10:42, Norman Gray wrote:

> [following up a 6 December 2006 thread]
>
> Nathan Stocks wrote:
>
>> Related to this issue, it was very non-intuitive to me that you
>> had to
>> click on a "Source Code" link to get to the .dmg downloads at
>> all.  It
>> literally took me 10 minutes of poking around the site today to find
>> the images, and most of that was simply figuring out that the
>> download
>> area was called "Source Code".
>>
>> Would the powers-that-be object to changing that link to "Downloads"
>> or something like that?
>
> I got to the downloads via the wiki page at <http://
> trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/wiki/InstallingMacPorts>.
> This says `Download the latest MacPorts .dmg disk image you find in
> the MacPorts download area', but what you find when you follow that
> link is a number of directories named `DarwinPorts', and a
> DarwinPorts .dmg.  That's very confusing, whether or not you know
> MacPorts' history as DarwinPorts.  It looks like you've been
> misdirected to a DarwinPorts legacy distribution (or something like
> that).
>
> So can I suggest (a) changing these build products so that they're
> called MacPorts, and (echoing Nathan) (b) having a 'Download' link
> directly on the macports.org front page.

I would object to renaming the older builds. That would be changing
history, and would be inaccurate. I would say that old versions of a
project do not magically inherit the project's new name.

Instead, I would be in favor of releasing a build of MacPorts that is
branded as such. MacPorts 1.3.3.dmg, or MacPorts 1.4.dmg, or
whatever. Until such a time as that is done, I have changed the
wording on the aforementioned wiki page to read "Download the latest
MacPorts (or DarwinPorts) .dmg disk image you find in the MacPorts
download area."