Apache on Boot

Salvatore Domenick Desiano sal at ri.cmu.edu
Sat Jan 13 09:56:48 PST 2007

Sorry for the delay -- my 'book's been up for a week and I haven't been
able to reboot this to test it. James, you instructions are good, and I
am pretty sure I tried them all, but I'll walk through them to make sure
I'm not missing anything:

(-) Run in non-daemon mode (I added this one to test config files)

   /opt/local/apache2/bin/httpd -X
   [running]
   ^C
   [stopped]

o (1) Can you launch httpd and/or apachectl directly/successfully?

   /opt/local/apache2/bin/apachectl start
   [running]
   /opt/local/apache2/bin/apachectl
   [stopped]

o (2) Can you launch it through the wrapper scripts directly/successfully?
   /opt/local/etc/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.apache2/apache2.wrapper start
   [running]
   /opt/local/etc/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.apache2/apache2.wrapper stop
   [stopped]

(-) Check launchd configuration (aded this one to make sure plist was loaded)

   ps -ax | grep daemondo
   36  ??  Ss     0:00.01 /opt/local/bin/daemondo --label=apache2 --start...
   37  ??  Ss     0:00.02 /opt/local/bin/daemondo --label=mysql5 --start-...

o (3) Can you invoke daemondo directly to have it launchd the wrappers?

   sudo kill -SIGHUP 36
   [not running, no httpd processes]

o Depending on where that breaks down, you'll know more about where to look. Did
o you "launchctl load -w /Libraries/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.apache2.plist" as
o root?

Yes, I had, when I initially installed the port, and based on what I was
seeing, I believe it worked.

I don't really have a good understanding of daemondo. Can someone
suggest where to look next (docs or approach)?

Thank you for the help.

-- Sal
smile.

  Salvatore Domenick Desiano