libtool

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Wed Jan 17 18:18:13 PST 2007

On Jan 16, 2007, at 7:35 PM, Thomas De Contes wrote:
> Le mercredi, 17 jan 2007, à 00:48 Europe/Paris, Salvatore Domenick
> Desiano a écrit :
>> port installed | grep libtool
>>
>> will tell you all of the libtools you have installed.
>
> thomas% port installed | grep libtool
>   libtool @1.5.22_0 (active)
>
> so, nothing else that the one i installed to replace /usr/bin/
> libtool, which made the error

You do not want to replace /usr/bin/libtool

/usr/bin/libtool comes from Apple (and existed before GNU libtool).
 From its manpage:

"The libtool command takes the specified input object files and
creates a library for use with the link editor, ld(1)."

In order to avoid confusion, Macports installs GNU libtool as
'glibtool'. From it's manpage:

"glibtool is a script that allows package developers to provide
generic shared library support."

You need to convince the software that you are trying to build to use
glibtool instead of 'libtool'

You might be able to cd to the source directory and run 'glibtoolize'
to fix things.

--
Daniel J. Luke