Naming of postgresql & related

Randall Wood rhwood at mac.com
Sat Jan 20 12:01:31 PST 2007

On 20 Jan 2007, at 13:57, Matthew Ross wrote:

> While we are on the postgresql port topic... Why are there
> postgresql8*-server and postgresql8*-doc ports?  Shouldn't these be
> variants of the postgresql8* port?  Isn't this the purpose of
> variants?

It is the purpose of variants, and in this case it seems very silly
not to simply install the docs in the postgresql8* port since we
downloaded them there anyway, but the *-server port seems
interesting. It depends entirely upon the postgresql8* port , but
adds a startup item to the system.

There is one problem in relying on variants, and it is that a
dependency on a specific variant can not be listed in a port (you can
find discussions in the archives), so making a *-server port serves a
purpose in that I can depend on the server being setup, whereas if I
could only specify the server in a variant, a depending port could
not rely on it being installed correctly.

Since startup items are not automatically enabled (at least in Mac OS
X 10.4+), I don't see why all three ports postgresql8*, postgresql8*-
doc, and postgresql8*-server can not be done in a single ports, with
variants to disable the installation of the docs or startup item.