cleaning up older versions?

Avi Carmi avi at maron.com
Mon Jan 22 11:26:57 PST 2007

Hi all,

I try to keep up to date, and I "upgrade" my packages on a regular
basis (usually as new versions come out)

however, even though the old version are "deactivated" they are still
around:

$ port installed apr-util
   apr-util @1.2.7_1
   apr-util @1.2.8_0
   apr-util @1.2.8_1 (active)

port will not let me remove the older version, and claims that other
packages are dependent on them...

$ sudo port -v uninstall apr-util @1.2.7_1
--->  Unable to uninstall apr-util 1.2.7_1, the following ports
depend on it:
--->    apache2
--->    subversion
--->    apache2
--->    apache2
Error: port uninstall failed: Please uninstall the ports that depend
on apr-util first.

how do I clean up and remove the older versions???

or should I even care???

thanks,

-avi

Avi Carmi