cleaning up older versions?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Jan 22 12:39:50 PST 2007

On Jan 22, 2007, at 13:26, Avi Carmi wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I try to keep up to date, and I "upgrade" my packages on a regular
> basis (usually as new versions come out)
>
> however, even though the old version are "deactivated" they are
> still around:
>
> $ port installed apr-util
> The following ports are currently installed:
>   apr-util @1.2.7_1
>   apr-util @1.2.8_0
>   apr-util @1.2.8_1 (active)
>
> port will not let me remove the older version, and claims that
> other packages are dependent on them...
>
> $ sudo port -v uninstall apr-util @1.2.7_1
> --->  Unable to uninstall apr-util 1.2.7_1, the following ports
> depend on it:
> --->    apache2
> --->    subversion
> --->    apache2
> --->    apache2
> Error: port uninstall failed: Please uninstall the ports that
> depend on apr-util first.
>

> how do I clean up and remove the older versions???

Since you already have a new version of apr-util installed, you can
ignore the warning and force the uninstall:

$ sudo port -f uninstall apr-util @1.2.7_1

In the future, you can tell MacPorts to automatically uninstall the
old version when you upgrade:

$ sudo port -cu upgrade apr-util

If, after configuring and compiling, you get a message that ports
depend on that port, then you execute it a second time, using the -f
(force) and -n (no dependencies) switches:

$ sudo port -fncu upgrade apr-util

(If you don't use -n, it will also force the recompilation of all
dependencies of that port, which is probably not necessary and will
just waste time.)