problem upgrading mutt-devel

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Jan 25 23:57:51 PST 2007

On Jan 25, 2007, at 18:07, an unnamed patron of this fine mailing
list wrote:

> I had previously been successfully running
>
>   mutt-devel @1.5.11_3+db4+headercache+imap+pop+sasl+ssl
>
> but yesterday I tried the following to update it:
>
>   % sudo port upgrade mutt-devel +db4+headercache+imap+pop+sasl+ssl
>
> which resulted in:
>
>   mutt-devel @1.5.13_0+db4+headercache+imap+ncurses+pop+sasl+ssl
> (active)

I was wondering why you got +ncurses which you did not specify, but I
see from the portfile that +ncurses is now one of the default
variants. This change was made in revision 18161 on 2006-05-31 though
the log doesn't go into much detail on why.

> however, when I try to tun it, I get the following error:
>
>   % mutt
>   dyld: Library not loaded: /opt/local/var/db/dports/build/
> _opt_local_var_db_dports_sources_rsync.rsync.darwinports.org_dpupdate_
> dports_devel_ncursesw/work/destroot/opt/local/lib/libncursesw.5.dylib
>     Referenced from: /opt/local/bin/mutt
>     Reason: image not found
>   Trace/BPT trap

Why on earth is /opt/local/bin/mutt trying to find /opt/local/var/db/
dports/build/
_opt_local_var_db_dports_sources_rsync.rsync.darwinports.org_dpupdate_dp
orts_devel_ncursesw/work/destroot/opt/local/lib/libncursesw.5.dylib?
That's silly. It should be looking for /opt/local/lib/libncursesw.
5.dylib. I'm not an expert at portfiles, but I don't immediately see
anything in the portfile that would account for this.

> I've tried uninstalling, cleaning and rebuilding the port and its
> dependencies, but with the same results.  I have also tried a few
> cursory
> web searches for additional clues, but again without luck.  Any
> help would
> be very much appreciated.

Sounds like exactly what I would have suggested doing: uninstall and
clean the work directory of ncursesw, and maybe also ncurses, and
finally of mutt-devel. Then reinstall them all. But if that didn't
help, then I'm rather confused.

Perhaps you could install mutt-devel with the -d and -v flags and
look at any lines in the output that mention ncursesw. Maybe that
would shed some light on why it's looking for it in that weird location.