Adding pcntl support to php5

James Berry jberry at macports.org
Sat Jan 27 12:13:43 PST 2007

Hi Ryan,

On Jan 26, 2007, at 3:22 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> It has been suggested to me that pcntl support should be added to
> the php5 port. I was asked to add a +pcntl variant for this, but
> I'm inclined to just add pcntl support always, without needing a
> variant. pcntl support does not require any additional libraries.
> Are there any objections to enabling pcntl always? Any reason I
> shouldn't do that?

Given the stern warning on the php page about pcntl, and since php is
almost always used in a webserver environment, I'd think it would be
best to make this an optional variant, which must be explicitly
enabled (+pcntl), rather than one which must be disabled as some
others have suggested (+disable_pcntl).

http://us3.php.net/pcntl:

Process Control support in PHP implements the Unix style of process
creation, program execution, signal handling and process termination.
Process Control should not be enabled within a webserver environment
and unexpected results may happen if any Process Control functions
are used within a webserver environment.