Weird problem with ncurses(w)

Paulo Moura pmoura at di.ubi.pt
Sun Jan 28 02:17:39 PST 2007

Hi Ryan,

>> pmmbp:/opt/local/lib pmoura$ otool -L libncurses.5.dylib
>> libncurses.5.dylib:
>>         /opt/local/var/db/dports/build/
>> _opt_local_var_db_dports_sources_rsync.rsync.darwinports.org_dpupdate
>> _dports_devel_ncurses/work/destroot/opt/local/lib/libncurses.
>> 5.dylib (compatibility version 5.0.0, current version 5.0.0)
>>         /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0,
>> current version 88.3.4)
>> pmmbp:/opt/local/lib pmoura$ otool -L libncursesw.5.dylib
>> libncursesw.5.dylib:
>>         /opt/local/var/db/dports/build/
>> _opt_local_var_db_dports_sources_rsync.rsync.darwinports.org_dpupdate
>> _dports_devel_ncursesw/work/destroot/opt/local/lib/libncursesw.
>> 5.dylib (compatibility version 5.0.0, current version 5.0.0)
>>         /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0,
>> current version 88.3.4)
>
> I installed ncurses and ncursesw on my PowerBook G4 last week. I
> have just about the same output as you do.

On a PowerPC Mac (a Xserve actually) I get the expected paths, not
the long ones above.

>> This breaks other software that I'm trying to install on my
>> MacBook Pro (10.4.8 with the latest updates). I'm using a fresh
>> install of MacPorts, updated to the latest version. Your help is
>> appreciated.
>
> In what way is this broken? Is the problem that it is listing a
> path in the work directory that no longer exists? What problems do
> you encounter when trying to install other software -- what error
> messages appear?

It breaks installation of other software. E.g. swi-prolog breaks at
the configure phase because the work path above no longer exists.

> Do you know what changes need to be made to ncurses (or ncursesw)
> to solve the problem?

Not sure that the problem lies in the portfiles of ncurses(w). It
could be a problem with MacPorts on Intel Macs.

Thanks for your feedback.

Cheers,

Paulo

Paulo Jorge Lopes de Moura
Dep. of Computer Science, University of Beira Interior
6201-001 Covilhã, Portugal

Office 4.3  Ext. 3257
Phone: +351 275319891 Fax: +351 275319899
Email: <mailto:pmoura at di.ubi.pt>

Home page: <http://www.di.ubi.pt/~pmoura>
Research: <http://logtalk.org/>