git-core requires rcs?

Emmanuel Hainry ehainry at free.fr
Sun Jan 28 02:40:35 PST 2007

Citando Bryan Blackburn :
> On Jan 26, 2007, at 1:42 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
> >On Jan 26, 2007, at 13:34, Bryan Blackburn wrote:

> >>You're right, it should compile just fine with a normal 10.4
> >>install (I'm not sure if rcs, in the BSD package on 10.4, was also
> >>in BSD in 10.3, which I think was still optional).  The only issue
> >>is that the dependency claims that it can be resolved by
> >>installing the rcs port, which doesn't exist.
> >
> >Ah, is that what it means? The portfile says "depends_run ...
> >bin:merge:rcs ..." Does that mean "I need the binary called merge,
> >and if there isn't one, install the port rcs"? I'm still muddling
> >my way through the portfile syntax.
> >

> Yup, that's it; this is the older dependency style, before
> port:portname became the preferred.  In fact, had this port been
> upgraded to port:rcs, then it'd definitely break.  I think at this
> point the few uses for the old bin:program:portname and
> lib:libname:portname is for big things which we accept as valid pre-
> installed dependencies like X11.

In fact, this dependency scheme permits to require something that may be
provided by different ports and a preference if it is not found.

I don't think it is really used like that but specifying
bin:psql:postgresql8 would probably be a good idea for dealing with the
many different postgres versions that exist.  I have used it in the
signing-party port because there are 3 different gnupg ports which
probably all install a gpg binary (which is sufficient ofr
signing-party).

Emmanuel