port PATH handling

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Jan 29 11:20:40 PST 2007

On Jan 29, 2007, at 12:24, Michael Sternberg wrote:

> I'm testing to set a fortran dependency for port netCDF (this is a
> library which may be built with an optional fortran interface).  I
> have difficulty convincing port(1) to find the fortran compiler in
> $PATH.
>
> Trying to use a commercial compiler (intel fortran), I source its
> dotfiles interactively (to augment $PATH etc.), then run:
>
> 	port -dk install netcdf +ifort
>
> This fails because "configure" when run under port claims it cannot
> find the fortran compiler.  However, when I run the exact same
> command manually (as root), it succeeds (diff attached).
>
> Does port(1) clean out $PATH ??

I don't know about any of that.

> brahms:/opt/local root# port --version
> MacPorts 1.400
>
> [Really?  I pulled the svn src version for port and the dports tree
> because I cannot get rsync updates through a firewall.  Did I shoot
> myself in the foot?]

1.320 is the most recent released version of MacPorts. There's no
need to check out and build the source code for the entire MacPorts
trunk from Subversion just to avoid rsync updates. Just install
MacPorts normally by downloading the DarwinPorts-1.3.1 disk image.
Then edit /opt/local/etc/ports/sources.conf. Comment out (put a "#"
in front of) the line "rsync://rsync.darwinports.org/dpupdate/dports"
and add a line pointing to a place on your hard drive where you will
check out the port tree with Subversion. For example, on my system, I
added the line "file:///Users/rschmidt/dports". To check this out
initially, I typed "svn checkout http://svn.macosforge.org/repository/
macports/trunk/dports ~/dports". Now, to update it, instead of "sudo
port sync", I use "svn up ~/dports".

To update to 1.3.2 (a.k.a. 1.320) you would need to do a "sudo port
selfupdate" and admittedly I'm not sure if that also requires rsync.
If it does, then that's of course a problem again.

You could also have downloaded and built the 1.3.2 source code from
http://svn.macosforge.org/repository/macports/downloads/
DarwinPorts-1.3.2/ or http://svn.macosforge.org/repository/macports/
tags/release_1_3_2/base/ and then configured sources.conf as detailed
above.