Weird problem with ncurses(w)

Chris Scharver cssdev at mac.com
Mon Jan 29 06:38:18 PST 2007

On Jan 29, 2007, at 12:10 AM, Michael Price wrote:

> On 1/29/07, cssdev at mac.com <cssdev at mac.com> wrote:
>> On Jan 28, 2007, at 9:20 PM, Michael Price wrote:
>>
>> > I'm apparently confused. Would someone explain to me why we have
>> two
>> > ncurses ports, why ncurses depends on ncursesw, and why texinfo 4.8
>> > and 4.8_1 didn't depend on them but 4.8_2 now does?
>>
>> I can't speak to the first part, but I can speak to the second.
>>
>> I had a broken texinfo, and in fixing I realized the error came about
>> because the port's gettext dependency wasn't specified. When I did a
>> trace rebuild after adding the port, the trace also caught an
>> undeclared dependency on ncurses. Therefore, I added the undeclared
>> dependencies to the port.
>
> What's wrong with the ncurses that comes with OS X?

Nothing is "wrong" with it, but it simply isn't the one that is
linked against. Because the port depends on gettext, the link line
contains "-L/opt/local/lib". Therefore, the "-lncurses" option
results a link against the libncurses in /opt/local/lib. If there's
a  clear way to force the port to link against the built-in one
rather than the version installed into ${prefix}, then a submitted
patch would be welcome.

Chris