Syncing multiple macport installs

Mark Fredrickson mark.m.fredrickson at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 08:43:08 PST 2007

On 12/28/06, Daniel J. Luke <dluke at geeklair.net> wrote:
> On Dec 28, 2006, at 1:56 PM, Mark Fredrickson wrote:
> > Does anyone have any suggestions/recipes for keeping two macs in sync
> > with regard to their macport installations? Specifically, is there a
> > good way to build on one machine and then not have to duplicate that
> > build process on the other?
>
> You can turn on archive mode and share the archives across machines
> (and on the non-build machine run port in 'binary-only mode' with -b).

If anyone is interested, this method works very well. I actually
turned on archive mode on both machines. In
/opt/local/etc/ports/port.conf:

    23  # Create and use binary archive packages for
installation/reinstallation ease
    24  portarchivemode         yes

I built the unison port on both machines and set up a sync process so
that they can exchange binaries. (This is helpful if I decide to start
building port X on my mini in the morning and later in the day I build
port Y on the macbook. When I sync after work, I get both new archives
on both machines). I still have to manually type "sudo port install
package +variants" on the second machine, but just unpacking an
archive is a lot faster than fetching, building, and installing the
port from scratch.

Cheers,
-Mark