macports python crashing?

Michael K. Edwards m.k.edwards at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 23:41:59 PST 2007

On 1/31/07, Paul Beard <paulbeard at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am running a huge rebuild of my installed ports (evidently a lot of stuff
> depends on dbus-glib) and I keep getting an error (pops in the FInder/Aqua)
> that python has crashed. I'm not running python so I assume it's part of the
> rebuilding (though I know MacPorts uses tcl).

If you tried "sudo port upgrade -R dbus", you may have run out of
memory at some point (see my previous post).  That tends to corrupt
running machine state.  Try rebooting.  (It worked for me, when things
like Firefox and Dashboard widgets started dying.)

Oh, on that note -- is there a sensible way to avoid having anything
other than the actual package installation step run as root?  If I had
any sense I would have asked that before the first time I typed "port
install".

Cheers,
- Michael